Tag Archives: QNX
9:40 am on Sep 21, 2011 |
The most recent BlackBerry PlayBook and Bridge app update brought us a few cool new features and one of the biggest would be Bridge allowing apps to connect to the internet through our BlackBerry smartphone, and while this works quite well using the tether function is much faster for browsing the web or uploading to YouTube. Personally I tether my PlayBook to my Bold 9900 on a daily basis, whether its to post some breaking news on the site or just download some music from the 7Digital music store. I was quite shocked to find out that while tethering to the PlayBook with the latest update some users, including I are losing their connection to BlackBerry services like BBM, Email and Twitter.
Now I’m reaching out to you, the BlackBerry community, are you experiencing this issue with the latest PlayBook and Bridge software? Vote on the poll or leave a comment below.
- 4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook coming to Bell Mobility?
- NFC-enabled BlackBerry smartphones will ‘open doors’ with HID global’s iCLASS® digital keys and readers says RIM
- BIS outage affecting North America and Europe – are you affected ?
- QNX BlackBerry Smartphones and PlayBook OS 2.0 to be previewed at DevCon 2011
- RIM reports Q2 2012 Financial Results
- BlackBerry Video Store coming to the BlackBerry PlayBook
- BlackBerry Bridge app updated to version 184.108.40.206
- RIM introduces BlackBerry Advertising Service for WebWorks Developers
- RIM loses John Vandermay, VP of BlackBerry Enterprise Server Software
- Hands-on with the BlackBerry Curve Touch 9380
- WiFi Hotspot still on the roadmap for BlackBerry 7 devices
- Become a BlackBerry Alliance Member and take your apps and games to the next level
8:32 pm on Sep 17, 2011 |
Now there isn’t a whole lot to go on here but if you look at the Bell Mobility LTE launch page you’ll see two devices that are not currently available. One looks to be the Android powered device and the other, the LTE BlackBerry PlayBook. Now yes, RIM did tell us that they will be launching a 4G LTE PlayBook and they did scrap WIMAX to focus their R&D costs on LTE, but Bell hasn’t to my knowledge announced the 4G PlayBook. Who’s excited about a 4G PlayBook…..this guy! Keep it locked to TheBerryFix.com for all your BlackBerry PlayBook news.
8:40 pm on Sep 15, 2011 |
During RIM’s conference call tonight about the Q2 2012 Fiscal results they released some information on both QNX Smartphones and PlayBook OS 2.0. First, we’ll talk about the QNX Smartphones. RIM has announced that the QNX BlackBerry Smartphone OS will be revealed at DevCon and that this OS will be previewed during the conference. There was no indication of whether a single device, multiple devices, or just the QNX OS itself will be previewed, but whatever is show is sure to be amazing.
Then there’s the PlayBook OS 2.0 refresh. RIM stated that this OS update would be previewed at DevCon and would be made available “shortly after” the conference. This PlayBook OS v2.0 update will bring Native Email, Contacts, and Calendar, plus the Android App Player. In addition to those additions, we will also see the new BlackBerry Video Store and some other new apps and features. With all these announcements, plus the possibility of a few more, DevCon 2011 is shaping up to be quite an exciting conference. We’ll be there live covering all the action right here on TheBerryFix.com.
5:30 pm on Sep 15, 2011 |
During RIM’s investor call they announced that a video store will be coming to the BlackBerry PlayBook. The PlayBook Video store is said to have millions of videos available for download, and with the HDMI video outpu,t the BlackBerry Video store will be adding to the multimedia capabilities of the PlayBook. Also, RIM has said that the Video store will offer movies on the same day as DVD, pretty sweet I must say. Stay tuned to TheBerryFix.com as we bring you all the latest on BlackBerry Video and the BlackBerry PlayBook.
Looks like a PlayBook OS update may be just around the corner as the Bridge App has been updated to version 220.127.116.11. Now we haven’t been able to confirm that an update is on its way but typically soon after we get a bridge update we get an OS update on our PlayBooks as well. As usual RIM hasn’t provided a change long on this app update, so we’ll just have to rely on the BlackBerry community to help us out. If you notice anything new be sure to post in the comments below. You can grab the Bridge app from BlackBerry App World on your smartphone from the link below.
2:00 pm on Sep 13, 2011 |
As we gear up for Devcon 2011 here at TheBerryFix.com, we are going to start focusing on a few developer specific topics. Today I wanted to take a minute to inform our developer community on one of the ways they can work closer with RIM. One way RIM works with developers is through a program called the BlackBerry Alliance Program.
The Alliance program is set up to offer support to BlackBerry developers in a few key areas, areas which could help make your app or game become the next top downloaded app in BlackBerry App World. RIM offers support to developers in technical, marketing and business development support through the program and, depending on your membership level, some of these could be offered to you at no direct cost.
If you’re wondering how you can get signed up as an Alliance member then I’ve got the answer you’re looking for. Head on over to the BlackBerry Alliance website and sign up, it’s at no cost to you.
There has been rumor circulating about a possible BlackBerry Bold 9980 that features an entirely new design. The photos of this rumored device, featured above and past the break, reveal an awkward looking device that resembles a Bold 9900. The device appears to be running BlackBerry 7 in the photos, and the keyboard and physical keys look quite different from anything we have ever seen on a BlackBerry before.
The device features a camera with flash on the backside and the battery door is leather with an embossed BlackBerry logo. This mystery device is using the same battery as the current Bold 9900 uses. There are multiple theories on what this device may be. Some think that it is a prototype Bold 9980 that could run QNX sometime in the future. The more popular theory; however, is that this is a Bold 9900′s internals that have been placed into an aftermarket housing. The presence of the word “Proceeding” along the top of the device could be the name of the firm that designed this housing.
We’re not sure exactly what this device is or if we will ever even find out. If more information on this device surfaces we’ll have it all laid out here at TheBerryFix.com. In the meantime, feel free to speculate and let us know what you think of this device and its design. We have a few more images after the break and there are tons more photos of this device available for viewing HERE.
1:37 pm on Sep 9, 2011 |
If you’re a mobile game developer and are looking for more reasons to attend the BlackBerry developers conference in San Fransico this October, then I may just have that reason that pushes you to attend this year. Renowned Gamer Jane McGonigal is going to be attending this years event and will be on hand to hear a game pitch from five developers and provide her feedback.
“Ms. McGonigal is an engaging speaker whose work offers entertaining and inspiring research. Her credentials include being the director of Game Research and Development at the Institute for the Future, Creative Director of Social Chocolate, and a successful game developer for reality games such as EVOKE, World Without Oil, Crypt Zoo and Superstruct.”
Something like this is truly a chance of a lifetime for game developers looking to work on the BlackBerry platform. If you haven’t signed up for Devcon 2011 make sure you do as space is quickly filling up.
Source: BlackBerry DevBlog
- Why RIM will succeed and grow due to BBM Music
- Rogers is launching the “MY10 BlackBerry Social Plan” for just $42.75 per month
- iColors for the BlackBerry Torch 9800 – Classic BlackBerry style with an injection of color
- TELUS launches the BlackBerry Torch 9860
- BlackBerry Messenger v18.104.22.168 now available in the BlackBerry Beta Zone
- RIM loses Mike Kirkup, Senior Director of Global Developer Relations
- T-Mobile launches the BlackBerry Bold 9900 “4G”
- Rogers launches the BlackBerry Curve 9360
- Feature Request: Voice search convenience key option in BlackBerry 7
- Verizon BlackBerry Torch 9850 launch date leaks out
- T-Mobile BlackBerry Bold 9900 for $249.99 in ShopTheBerryFix.com device store
- TELUS partners with Rdio to give you 6 months free music streaming
- BlackBerry App World expands into 14 new markets including Albania, Morocco and Zambia
- T-Mobile BlackBerry Bold 9900 sold out in less then 24hrs online!
9:30 am on Aug 25, 2011 |
Over the past few months we’ve only had a few quality Twitter applications for the Playbook, so you can see why I’ve gotten a little excited for a new twitter app. The team from SmarterApps just sent us an email to let us know that they’ve submitted their own twitter application for the PlayBook into BlackBerry App World. TweetBook is now available in BlackBerry App World for $4.99.
- Multi-Pane Window Design
- DM Notifications (BlackBerry® PlayBook™ Home Screen)
- Mention Notifications (BlackBerry® PlayBook™ Home Screen)
- Threaded Messaging
- Camera Support
- Search Support
- Picture Uploading
- Portrait and Landscape functionality
- Multiple Account Support
Just by seeing the key feature list you can see why it has been priced at 4.99. If you’re interested in tweeting in style you can pick up TweetBook in App World from the link below.
12:46 pm on Aug 16, 2011 |
With the BlackBerry PlayBook we are starting to see the applications built using RIM’s NDK (Native development kit) and their Flash/Air SDKs, and the developer community is buzzing of the success of applications like Doodle Blast and the iSpeech Translator app. So I wanted to take the time to sit down and talk with the team behind the ever popular Doodle Blast. For those of you who aren’t familiar with the game, Doodle Blast is a physics based game created with Adobe Flash where the objective is to get the balls down into the cup, but look can be deceiving as this game is harder than it appears. Follow me after the break for my Q&A with the Flexable Air, the team behind Doodle Blast.
- BlackBerry Bold 9930 coming to Verizon on August 15th
- Rogers lowers the Bold 9900 to $199.99
- Vodafone UK begins selling the BlackBerry Bold 9900
- BlackBerry Curve touch 9380 caught on camera
- Telus launches the BlackBerry Bold 9900 and Torch 9810
- BlackBerry DevCon 2011 Session Catalog is now available
- OS 22.214.171.1247 for the BlackBerry Bold 9900 and Torch 9810 Leaked
- Sprint to launch the BlackBerry Torch 9850 August 21st
- Sprint marketing shows the Bold 9930 launching August 21st
- Bell launches the BlackBerry Bold 9900 and Torch 9810
- Rogers BlackBerry Bold 9900 hands on and unboxing
- Review: Incipio Hive Case for BlackBerry PlayBook
- Virgin Mobile Canada Torch 9810 and Bold 9900 pricing revealed
- TheBerryFix.com LIVE™: Episode 25 – Bold, Torch, Oh My!
- Vevo for the BlackBerry PlayBook now available
- Exclusive: RIM to announce first QNX powered BlackBerry at Devcon 2011
- BlackBerry Cyclone, Calypso, and Beats outed by leaked Wireless Giant roadmap
- Hackers Attack Official Blog in Response to RIM’s Offer to Assist UK Government
9:46 pm on Aug 8, 2011 |
Listen to the live recording
Just over a week after our last episode of TheBerryFix.com LIVE™ we are back with our second episode. As normal the TheBerryFix.com LIVE™ is recorded in front of a live studio audience Bi-weekly on mondays at 5pm est. The next recording will be on August 22nd with special guest Alex Kinsella Senior Project manager on App World at RIM.
Weeks back we talked about ways to use Vevo on your BlackBerry PlayBook while we wait for the official application, and the wait is over. Today RIM let us know that Vevo has officially launched the best tablet optimized application for Vevo on the market.
- Free access to VEVO’s library of over 30,000 music videos
- Watch exclusive interviews and performances only available on VEVO
- 720p HD streaming, the highest quality picture of any tablet
- TV-out feature
- Multitask on the PlayBook™ while streaming videos from the VEVO app
- Manage your VEVO playlists with PlayBook’s innovative swipe-down menu
Head on over to App World and start listening and watching music videos in high definition.