Tag Archives: Blackberry Messenger
11:00 am on May 14, 2013 |
BlackBerry has finally heard the cries of BBM fans and is answering. BBM is officially going cross-platform this summer. BBM will be available on iOS and Android devices as a free application beginning this summer. The update will work on iOS 6 and above and Android versions Ice Cream Sandwich and above. BBM cross-platform will initially be messages-only and the rest of BBM services will roll out throughout the year. The initial features will include:
- The immediacy of BBM chats
- Multi-person chats
- Voice note sharing
- BlackBerry Groups, where BBM users are able to set up groups of up to 30 people and share calendar, photos, files and more
Look for more news on BBM cross-platform in the days and weeks to come. Check out the Press Release about BBM past the break.
2:22 pm on Feb 19, 2013 |
BlackBerry has released a new version of BBM, version 18.104.22.168, into the BlackBerry Beta Zone for users running OS 7.1 and older. This update features lots of bug fixes and speed improvements, but very little in the way of new features. If you’re one that likes to have the latest and greatest apps running, this is definitely an update you’ll want to grab. Just log into the BlackBerry Beta Zone and grab the download.
10:46 am on Dec 10, 2012 |
RIM has just released a much anticipated update for BlackBerry Messenger. The update is BBM 7 featuring BBM Voice. This update has been available in the BlackBerry Beta Zone for about a month and now RIM has made it publicly available for all users. Here are some stats and quotes about BBM:
Some BBM Stats:
- When RIM surveyed customers who downloaded the Beta, over 80% of testers said that they were likely to recommend BBM version 7.
- In the same survey, 90% of testers said that they would use BBM Voice while travelling to keep in touch.
- Nearly half of BBM customers have international contacts and can benefit from free Wi-Fi calls.
Quote from T.A. McCann, Vice President of BBM and Social Communities at RIM: “BBM began as a convenient and effective business messaging tool, and today it is an essential part of daily communications for customers around the world. Now, with BBM version 7, customers have a new option: they can text and talk with their BBM contacts near and far, for free. With the integrated experience, we extend the core features of reliable, real-time engagement to include voice calling and take BBM to the next level.”
Follow on past the break for more information on BBM 7, plus all the new features available in this version.
11:05 am on Nov 14, 2012 |
RIM has released a new version of BlackBerry Messenger, version 7.0, into the BlackBerry Beta Zone today. BBM 7 brings lots of updated features to RIM’s signature service, but the biggest new feature is one that hadn’t even been leaked before, BBM Voice. This awesome new portion of the BBM platform will allow users to conduct voice chats for free using WiFi. This is a huge first from RIM and it’s a step towards full-fledged video chat that is coming in BlackBerry 10. Here are some of the features of BBM Voice:
- Customers can initiate a BBM Voice call directly, or instantly switch from a BBM text chat to talk, and back again.
- The split-screen feature allows customers to talk and text at the same time, so for example, they can send a picture to their contact while talking with them. They can also check other BBM text chats, check email, or navigate to other apps while engaged on a BBM Voice call.
- BBM provides a visual indicator that shows when contacts are available for a voice call.
- BBM Voice is compatible with any accessories a customer has now for making voice calls on their BlackBerry smartphone, such as a Bluetooth® or wired headset. Customers can also use BBM Voice over their BlackBerry smartphone’s speakerphone.
- If it’s not an ideal time to talk, customers can simply choose to respond by texting back.
With all these new and powerful features, RIM hopes to take BBM to the next level on BlackBerry OS 6 and 7 devices. This is a big update for current BlackBerry users and it lays the groundwork for what RIM has planned for BlackBerry 10. This version of BBM unifies the PIN with the user’s BlackBerry ID so that they will be ready for the BBID-based BlackBerry 10. BBM 7 is available in open Beta in the BlackBerry Beta Zone. Hit the link below for the download and be sure to check out the full Press Release after the break.
12:11 pm on Sep 13, 2012 |
BlackBerry Messenger has long been recognized as the forerunner to text messaging and one of the largest communications networks of all-time. Now, BBM is officially getting some of the recognition it deserves for this by being featured as an official word in the latest Collins English Dictionary. BBM is included directly in the dictionary, along with the action form “BBM’ing.”
BBM is used by over 56 Million people around the world, and 70% of those people use it on a daily basis to communicate with friends, family, or colleagues. Having a place in an official English dictionary is big news for RIM and the BBM brand. Here’s what T.A. McCann, Vice President of BBM and Social Communities at RIM, had to say about the inclusion:
“The inclusion of BBM in the Collins English dictionary recognizes its status as one of the world’s most popular mobile social networks. In recent years, the term ‘BBM’ has transcended its technological origins to become a brand that is part of the everyday language of millions of people all over the world. The service itself continues to evolve, with ‘BBMers’ able to share content, create groups and even post status updates to other social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter directly from the BBM app. We’re honoured that a word used daily by millions of our customers has been officially welcomed into the English language.”
1:12 pm on Aug 29, 2012 |
RIM has just released a new update to BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) into BlackBerry App World. The update is version 22.214.171.124 and is now available for all users. The changes; however, only apply to users running BlackBerry OS 7.1. Those changes include the following:
- Broadcast messages now appear in purple
- Improved layout for the Chinese Handwriting feature
- Added support for Finnish
You can grab the update for free in BlackBerry App World or by clicking the link below.
8:15 am on Aug 8, 2012 |
RIM has recently released another device running BlackBerry OS 7.1 to hold us over until the launch of BlackBerry 10. That device is the BlackBerry Curve 9310, and it has just recently launched on the Boost Mobile network. The Curve 9310 is another solid device from Research in Motion. The software, OS 7.1, runs smoothly and efficiently. The hardware is superb, especially for a device that will run you less than $100. The 9310 has all the features you would expect from a BlackBerry; BBM, a solid QWERTY-keyboard, a vibrant screen, all packed into this little device. Follow me past the break for a closer look at the Curve 9310 and see why it’s one of the best BlackBerry devices available today.
We know that RIM has a total UI overhaul planned for BlackBerry 10, they have said this and shown it off during presentations. We have seen many UI guideline leaks and renders of the redesigned App World for BlackBerry 10. Now, we have another piece of the BlackBerry 10 UI puzzle to put into place. Some screenshots and renders of BBM on BlackBerry 10 have hit the web today. The UI will be built on the Cascades engine and will feature all the new gesture shortcuts that BlackBerry 10 is based on. Check out the images above and past the break for a taste of what BBM’ing will be like when you finally get a BlackBerry 10 device in your hot little hands.
1:27 pm on Jul 10, 2012 |
Today at the Annual General Meeting of Shareholders, RIM discussed some of their strategy for BlackBerry 10. One of the biggest focus points in the development of BlackBerry 10, besides speed and function, is the integration of BlackBerry Messenger services. BlackBerry Messenger has become one of the only compelling factors for owning a BlackBerry device, and RIM plans to rely heavily on that for BlackBerry 10.
They plan to integrate BBM deeper with the OS and all its core functions. They also plan to open more BBM APIs to developers so they can extend the BBM app integration we already see in BlackBerry 7. Also announced today was BBM Video Chat. Not only will users be able to use video chat with email addresses like on the PlayBook, Video Chat will directly integrate with BBM and allow these chats directly from the BBM platform. What do you think about the deeper integration of BlackBerry Messenger into BlackBerry 10?
RIM has just released an update to BlackBerry Messenger. We have seen numerous updates of BBM in the BlackBerry Beta Zone and now RIM has rolled out v126.96.36.199 as the official version. This version of BBM includes the following changes:
- Enjoy a new selection of Animated Avatars
- Send Voice Notes more easily back & forth – streamlined Voice Notes allow you to set your convenience key to BBM, highlight a contact (or while in a chat), press the key, record and send.
- Simpler way to change your Name & Personal Message – click on profile and start updating inline.
- Tagging is now even quicker – BlackBerry Tag enhancements allows for automatic invitations and accepting within BBM.
- Improved Contact Search – search will ignore special characters and emoticons to pull up all relevant contacts.
As always, BBM is available for free in App World. Just refresh App World on your BlackBerry or hit the link below to get the latest version.
3:18 pm on Apr 12, 2012 |
RIM has just updated another one of their flagship applications, BBM Music, in the BlackBerry Beta Zone. This update brings the Beta Zone build to v188.8.131.52 and it doesn’t include a change log. It’s safe to assume that since there’s no log, this update is mostly bug fixes and minor tweaks to make BBM Music the best experience for you. One other small stipulation with this update, it’s only available to users in the US, Canada, and the UK. If you’re a BBM Music user, hit the link below to log into the Beta Zone and grab the update.
RIM has just announced this morning that they plan to add BBM Connectivity to a bunch of their native applications. This will help bring BBM to almost all of the apps that most users access on a regular basis. The apps that are slated for the BBM treatment include:
- Facebook and Twitter: Automatically share your Facebook status or latest Tweet with your BBM friends right from within the app.
- BlackBerry Travel: Share your travel plans and flight changes directly with select BBM contacts or with your entire BBM community.
- BlackBerry App World: Easily update your BBM profile to let friends know about the great new app you’ve just downloaded on BlackBerry App World.
- BBM Music: Recommend friends right from within the BBM Music app itself, making it easier for you to connect and expand your music collection.
These applications will be rolling out over the next 10 days and you can learn all about the new features on the Inside BlackBerry Blog. Let us know what you think about all the hype over BBM Connected applications? Is it really a must-have feature or would you rather see RIM focus their time and energy somewhere else? A full Press Release on these app updates is featured past the break.
4:10 pm on Apr 10, 2012 |
Today, RIM has updated the version of BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) in the BlackBerry Beta Zone. The update brings the Beta version to 184.108.40.206. There’s only one change noted on this release and there’s also a note about a future fix, but there are sure to be various big fixes included as well. The change that is noted is:
- Clicking the trackpad in the inline display name or personal message field opens the “My Profile” screen for right-to-left languages.
- Please note that issues with broadcast messages appearing in black, or links in broadcast messages appearing in purple, will be fixed in a future OS upgrade.
You can grab this latest update by clicking the link below and logging into the BlackBerry Beta Zone.
2:22 pm on Mar 30, 2012 |
RIM has published another update into the BlackBerry Beta Zone and this time it’s for BBM. The latest update brings the Beta version of BBM to 220.127.116.11 and has a lot of bug fixes and improvements included. These fixes include:
- Missing BBM icon on OS 5.0
- Issues scrolling up through older messages on OS 6.0
- Issue selecting all the text by scrolling up/down in the inline display name and personal message fields
- Scrolling quickly in the inline edit view allowed the focus to move out onto your avatar
- Pressing the Enter key while the focus is on your avatar initiated the inline edit view
- In the inline display name or personal message field, smileys were highlighted when added via the “Add Smiley” menu option
- Unable to scroll in certain directions within the inline display name and personal message field
- No “Save” menu option or prompt dialog when the inline display name or personal message field only contains smileys
- No red splat on the BBM icon after deleting a group icon from the Home Screen and receiving a group notification
- Notification view/today view does not show BBM Messages
You can grab the update by signing into your Beta Zone profile and clicking on the BBM Beta Program. Hit the link below to head on over to the Beta Zone.
11:06 am on Mar 23, 2012 |
RIM has really been busy these past few weeks with Beta Zone application updates. The latest one they have pushed out is an update to BlackBerry Messenger, v18.104.22.168. There are lots of changes in this version; however, it still has quite a few issues too. Be sure to check out the change log and known issue list past the break before you download.