Yesterday there was a lot of speculation as to when we will receive the next update to the PlayBook OS and it looks like RIM has heard our plea and has provided another big update to the Tablet OS. Take a look at the new features along with bug fixes found in os v184.108.40.2065 below.
- Facebook for BlackBerry PlayBook — The first Facebook app optimized for tablets now comes preloaded and introduces new features including video uploading, message deletion, Facebook search enhancements and more
- In-App Payments Support — Enables developers to create apps for the BlackBerry PlayBook using the BlackBerry Payment Service, which will allow users to purchase enhancements within apps such as another level in a game or a new edition of a magazine
- Additional Language Support — Updates language support to include: French, Italian, German, Spanish, Dutch and UK English
- BlackBerry PlayBook Charging Enhancements — By simply touching the battery indicator on the BlackBerry PlayBook home screen, users can easily adjust the screen brightness or choose to restart, turn off, or put the tablet into standby mode. Other charging improvements include the ability to charge the PlayBook while it is turned off, as well as an on-screen alert to notify users if they accidentally have plugged in an incorrect charger into their BlackBerry PlayBook
- Video Chat Connectivity — Adds support for the TURN (Traversal Using Relay NAT) protocol, which enhances Video Chat connections between users on home, public and enterprise Wi-Fi networks
- Wi-Fi Hotspot Detection — Automatic Wi-Fi hotspot detection in the BlackBerry Tablet OS v1.0.5 makes it easier to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot (at a coffee shop or an airport, for example)
Just looking at the list you can see there is a lot of work going on with the PlayBook OS and we’re just seeing the tip of the iceberg. Make sure you download the latest OS over-the-air via your PlayBook tablet, for instructions click here.