Author Archives: Zach Gilbert
4:57 pm on Dec 28, 2011 |
If you haven’t rushed out to get yourself a PlayBook during the holiday pricing promotion, then you’ll want to get out there asap as it’s about to end.
Canadian Retailers offering the PlayBook
- Best Buy
- Future Shop
- London Drugs
- The Source
- Visions Electronics
- Wireless Wave
And to refresh your memory RIM is offering the PlayBook 16,32, and 64 gigabyte models for $199.99, $249.99 and $399.99 respectively, and it all comes to an end on December 31st. So act fast, before time runs out.
10:59 pm on Dec 27, 2011 |
RIM oh RIM why do we not have a Password keeper app on the PlayBook, or better yet LastPass why haven’t you built an application for us PlayBook wielding customers? Well, while we all what for one of the later to happen you can get your hands on a cool, yet usual full password app on the BlackBerry PlayBook. Vault gives you the option to store credit card info, email passwords, and various passwords for other websites and services, it also lets you generate passwords on the fly. Vault for the BlackBerry PlayBook can be found in App World for a small fee of $2.99, but can you really put price on security? Check out a few more photos after the break.
12:08 pm on Dec 22, 2011 |
Ever since the PlayBook picked up the FIPS certification more and more government agencies have been scooping up the PlayBook for use, and the newest comes from the Canadian government. The government of Canada has a deal to buy 500 BlackBerry PlayBooks with an additional 500 to come after the successful roll out of RIMs tablet.
The Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade has a requirement to procure 500 RIM’s “Playbook” tablets with the option to procure an additional 500 units. It is proposed to issue a contract to Research In Motion (RIM) or its designated reseller.
Hopefully the momentum of a successful rollout will help RIM procure more orders from Government agencies around the globe.
11:42 pm on Dec 21, 2011 |
It’s been a little while since RIM updated their TAT scrapbook app, but BlackBerry users have yet another holiday gift waiting for them. PlayBook scrapbook app version 2.0 is now available for download, the new version brings along a few festive additions and a few new backgrounds.
New in version 2.0
- Ability to download new content directly through the application, allowing new themes to be loaded without updating the entire application.
- Download new content and connect to FaceBook via BlackBerry Bridge.
If I had to pick one new feature of this update (beside the sea monster boot screen) I’m going to have to go with the new festive content. Just in time for those embarrassing family moments, ones that shouldn’t be made into scrapbooks but are to funny not to be.
More screen shots after the break!! (more…)
10:54 am on Dec 21, 2011 |
It’s been almost a year since RIM announced that Rovio would be bringing the Angry Birds game to the BlackBerry PlayBook, and well today is officially that day. Rovio has brought the whole Angry Birds franchise onto the PlayBook which includes Angry Birds Rio, Angry Birds Seasons and the original Angry Birds game.
- Angry Birds: The survival of the Angry Birds is at stake! Dish out revenge on the pigs who stole the Birds’ eggs. Use the unique destructive powers of the Angry Birds to destroy the pigs’ fortifications!
- Angry Birds Seasons: Celebrate the seasons with Angry Birds! Angry Birds Seasons is a special edition of the game that takes the furious fowl through seasonal celebrations around the world!
- Angry Birds Rio: Save the Angry Birds from smugglers and monkeys! The Angry Birds have been kidnapped and taken to Rio de Janeiro! Help them escape the smugglers and save their friends!
Each can be found in App World for $4.99 each, and for the many hours of game play you get from I’m sure I won’t be the only one downloading it.
10:00 am on Dec 21, 2011 |
While it isn’t a very festive themed app being released Smarter Apps has launched their latest application into BlackBerry App World.
Vampire Hunter is the latest BlackBerry game from Smarter Apps. It is
a game where you are a champion vampire hunter and you have been
called upon to slay the Vampire Master Lord and all his of demonic
creatures before they wreak havoc and take over a small village.
Vampire Hunter is a “Tower Defence” game in which you purchase weapons
and defences against the attacking vampires. You can purchase crosses
to block the vampires, or weapons like flame throwers, crossbows,
land mines and holy water bombs to destroy the vampires.
Vampire Hunter is available in BlackBerry App World for $4.99, and is compatible with all devices running OS 4.5 and up. Sadly the app isn’t available for the PlayBook just yet, but we’re hoping that Smarter Apps is working on one soon.
2:07 pm on Dec 19, 2011 |
As the cold winter months start to set in and the sun no longer stays in the sky like it did before, we all need to look for new forms of entertainment. With your BlackBerry by your side I’m confident that you will be okay. We’ve compiled a list of our top winter apps that are made just for your BlackBerry smartphone. Grab the link below to fill your Berry with a little holiday cheer from TheBerryFix.com
11:38 am on Dec 19, 2011 |
Back at Devcon 2011 a bunch of press members got together and discussed the future of BBM Music, to discuss the good and the bad. And it looks like they’ve moved on some of pure suggestions and concerns. BBM Music has been updated in BlackBerry Beta Zone to version 220.127.116.11, the newly updated app brings along a few requested features,like;
What’s new in BBM Music 1.1?
- Payment Enhancements
- Ability to Request a Gift – Users can ask their BBM Contacts for a subscription to BBM Music.
- Added Notifications – Splat notifications to continue free trials and prior to first subscription charge
- Integration with BBM ‘Show what I’m listening to’
- Playing songs in BBM Music will update BBM Status if ‘Show what I’m listening to’ is selected within BBM (Requires BBM 6.1)
8:14 pm on Dec 16, 2011 |
Just weeks ago RIM pushed a new version of BlackBerry App World to beta zone users and I’m guessing its gone over well as the update is now available to the masses.
- BlackBerry App World Wifi support
- Application rating system
- Various bug fixes
It can take up to 24hrs for the update to show on everyone’s BlackBerry, just depends on your location around the globe. But if you just can’t wait you can refresh app world in hopes of a notification.
4:48 pm on Dec 15, 2011 |
Research In Motion Reports Third Quarter Fiscal 2012 Results
WATERLOO, ONTARIO–(Marketwire – Dec. 15, 2011) – Research In Motion Limited (RIM) (NASDAQ:RIMM)(TSX:RIM), a world leader in the mobile communications market, today reported third quarter results for the three months ended November 26, 2011 (all figures in U.S. dollars and U.S. GAAP, except where otherwise indicated).
* Revenue of $5.2 billion, up 24% from last quarter
* BlackBerry smartphone shipments of 14.1 million, up 33% from Q2
* GAAP net income of $265 million or $0.51 per share diluted; adjusted net income of $667 million or $1.27 per share diluted
* Subscribers up 35% year-over-year to almost 75 million
* Cash flow from operations of approximately $895 million
* Total of cash, cash equivalents, short-term and long-term investments of $1.5 billion
Revenue for the third quarter of fiscal 2012 was $5.2 billion, up 24% from $4.2 billion in the previous quarter and down 6% from $5.5 billion in the same quarter of last year. The revenue breakdown for the quarter was approximately 79% for hardware, 19% for service and 2% for software and other revenue. During the quarter, RIM shipped approximately 14.1 million BlackBerry smartphones and approximately 150,000 BlackBerry PlayBook tablets.
8:43 pm on Dec 14, 2011 |
While we saw the PlayBook sales come and go, we knew it wouldn’t be long until they came back. As per this leaked document from Sprint it looks as though they will be offer the PlayBook for the low price of $199 for the 16gb model. The sale us supposed to kick of on December 26th and run until January 7th 2012, which in my mind is just enough time to get your hands on one.
Source : SprintFeed
- BlackBerry Traffic updated to v18.104.22.1683 in the Beta Zone
- OS 22.214.171.124 Leaked for the BlackBerry Torch 9810 – Brings along Mobile Hotspot
- Check out Highlights from the BlackBerry DevCon Asia Keynote
- Wikitude Augmented Reality Browser updated with BlackBerry 6 support
- BlackBerry News app for PlayBook updated to version 1.2
- First image of the BlackBerry Milan – First slider device to feature the BlackBerry 10 OS
- Indosat to Support Operator Billing on BlackBerry App World
- Twitter for BlackBerry updated to version 2.1 – Brings multi-account support and more
- RIM drops BBX for Next-gen BlackBerry devices, BlackBerry 10 is now the official name
- RIM releases BlackBerry PlayBook OS update to patch DingleBerry Jailbreak
- Dingleberry Jailbreak released for PlayBook users
12:50 pm on Dec 9, 2011 |
While some maybe rushing around NYC finding the perfect gift for that special someone this holiday season, RIM will be placing secret BlackBerry notification icons around the city for a holiday contest. The contest is pretty simple. All you have to do is spot a red BBM notification around the city, scan the barcode on the back and add the secret holiday BlackBerry team onto your BBM list. RIM is giving away a few BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930 (So are we! check out our contest), BlackBerry accessories and some coffee cards to warm you up this holiday season.
I’m tempted to take a trip out to NYC to hunt down some of these notification icons….who’s with me? If you’ve managed to find one make sure you snap a pic and tweet us at @theberryfix
1:55 pm on Dec 8, 2011 |
If you thought that Bold 9900 owners where going to be the only ones able to use mobile hotspot on their berrys before the holidays, think again. OS 126.96.36.199 has leaked and is now available for consumption. Other than the mobile hotspot and BlackBerry tag (nfc) features we really don’t know of any major advancements or improvements to the core OS, but if you find something let us know in the comments. Also there are a few steps that one must do to install this OS, so make sure you hit up the source link to get the 411.
**WARNING: This is not an official release for BlackBerry and therefore has not been fully tested and may contain bugs. TheBerryFix.com cannot be held responsible for any issues that may arise ether during or after installation. You are installing the leak by choice. To help the BlackBerry community please don’t forget to post your findings in the comments.
Source : opensourcebb.com
4:34 pm on Dec 7, 2011 |
If you’ve been using the BlackBerry news application on your PlayBook then you’ll want to open up App World and see if the updated version is available for you. The new version adds support for Google reader, delete or mark posts as read/unread, you’ll also be able to view more information about the specific source you are reading from. Check out the updated version, or if you haven’t downloaded the version yet grab the link below and load up BlackBerry News Reader on your PlayBook.