Author Archives: Justin Lisenby
8:51 am on Jul 9, 2013 |
It’s Justin, the Editor-in-Chief, checking in. I wanted to let everyone know what is going on with the site and what’s in store for the future. I have taken a full-time job in my professional career of Engineering and I will no longer be able to continue supporting TheBerryFix as Editor-in-Chief.
This was a difficult decision for me, especially being a part of seeing this site grow and change over the past 4 years. I want to thank each and every person who has come to the site, clicked our links, read my reviews, and watched my videos over the past 4 years. We couldn’t have done any of this without you. I also want to extend a huge thanks to BlackBerry for all your support. Without you, there would be no BlackBerry and certainly no BerryFix.
Zach Gilbert, the founder and former Editor-in-Chief of TBF, will be coming back on board and taking the reigns again. The vision for the site remains the same, to be the best at providing knowledgeable news and reviews to BlackBerry fans. Zach is still an avid BlackBerry user and he will bring you the best that BlackBerry has to offer in the coming months. Thank You, Zach, for giving me this opportunity and letting me be a part of this awesome team here at TheBerryFix.
Thanks again for all your support over the past 4 years. It’s been an honor serving Team BlackBerry. You may see me guest posting here from time to time, however, my full attention will be on my full-time Engineering career. I wish you all the best and hope to see BlackBerry make the comeback in the coming years.
12:00 pm on May 14, 2013 |
Introhive Launches for BlackBerry 10 Platform
Introhive brings the power of warm introductions to BlackBerry-enabled enterprise sales teams worldwide
May 14, 2013
BlackBerry Live 2013, Orlando, FL – May 14, 2013 – Introhive, the relationship capital company, today announced the launch of its native app for the BlackBerry® 10 platform. This brings the power of Introhive’s innovative sales enablement platform to enterprises around the world that are running BlackBerry® Enterprise Server or BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10.
Introhive unlocks the connections within a company to help sales people reach new customers and measure the strength of existing relationships. Introhive analyzes and scores the contacts and activity a company and its employees have across social, mail and mobile platforms. Sales can then request introductions based on the strongest relationship. Managers also use the platform to measure account activity and customer relationship strength. They can now do this on BlackBerry 10 smartphones.
11:43 am on May 14, 2013 |
You’ve seen that BlackBerry has introduced a huge, new feature for BBM today at BlackBerry Live 2013, BBM Channels. Now you’re wondering how you can sign up for this new service. Well, all you have to do to get BBM Channels is sign up for it in the BlackBerry Beta Zone. BBM Channels works on both legacy BlackBerry OS devices and BlackBerry 10 devices. Signing up will give you access to the Beta version of BBM Channels through the Beta Zone, then you can upgrade to the full version when it officially launches later this year. Hit the link below to head over to the BlackBerry Beta Zone and get in on the BBM Channel action.
11:00 am on May 14, 2013 |
BlackBerry has finally heard the cries of BBM fans and is answering. BBM is officially going cross-platform this summer. BBM will be available on iOS and Android devices as a free application beginning this summer. The update will work on iOS 6 and above and Android versions Ice Cream Sandwich and above. BBM cross-platform will initially be messages-only and the rest of BBM services will roll out throughout the year. The initial features will include:
- The immediacy of BBM chats
- Multi-person chats
- Voice note sharing
- BlackBerry Groups, where BBM users are able to set up groups of up to 30 people and share calendar, photos, files and more
Look for more news on BBM cross-platform in the days and weeks to come. Check out the Press Release about BBM past the break.
10:54 am on May 14, 2013 |
Alicia Keys and BlackBerry have announced a new initiative, the BlackBerry Scholars Program, today at BlackBerry Live 2013. This new program will focus on women with ambition. It will provide scholarships to women who are interested in studying and working in the field of mobile computing. This includes science, engineering, math, and technology. The scholarships will provide full, four-year tuition to the women who are selected to the program. Hit the link below for more information and to apply for these scholarships. Check out the Press Release past the break.
BlackBerry has announced today at BlackBerry Live 2013 that BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.1 is now available for download. This update includes hundreds of enhancements to BES, including updates to BlackBerry Balance. This update is available for free to all existing BES customers. Check out the full Press Release on BES 10.1 below and continuing past the break.
WATERLOO, ONTARIO–(Marketwired – May 14, 2013) – BlackBerry® (NASDAQ: BBRY)(TSX: BB) today announced BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 version 10.1, an update to BlackBerry’s multi-platform Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solution that provides device and app management for BYOD and corporate-owned BlackBerry®, iOS® and Android™ devices. Today’s update brings new “Regulated-level” IT policy controls and settings for government agencies and customers in regulated industries who require an advanced level of security, control and logging of BlackBerry® 10 smartphones. It also allows customers to support BlackBerry 10 and Bla ckBerry OS smartphones from a single server.
10:04 am on May 14, 2013 |
T-Mobile has announced that the BlackBerry Q10 is coming to their network. This device is available for order today for business customers at a price of $119.99. Consumers will be able to get their hands on the Q10 beginning in June for $99 down with 20 additional monthly payments of $20. The Q10 will be available in T-Mobile retail stores, online at T-Mobile.com, and at various retail partners. Interested customers can register for updates on the Q10 at the link below.
9:50 am on May 14, 2013 |
Today at BlackBerry Live 2013, Thorsten Heins announced that BlackBerry OS 10.1 for the Z10 will start rolling out today. The updates will be rolling out pending carrier approval.
New BlackBerry 10.1 Features:
- BlackBerry Hub: The BlackBerry Hub lets you access all your messages and notifications in one place. With BlackBerry 10.1 support for PIN to PIN messages for direct communication between BlackBerry smartphones has been added to the BlackBerry Hub. Plus, improved attachment support in the BlackBerry Hub makes it easier to view emails which have been sent as attachments to other messages.
- Notifications: With BlackBerry 10.1 you can personalize the notifications for your accounts and contacts so you always know what is happening around you. Customize ringtones, vibration and the LED light by contact or by account for more personalized notifications.
- Fine Cursor Control: BlackBerry 10.1 makes it easier and more accurate to pinpoint exactly where you want to type. Tap once to bring up the cursor. Grab the blue circle and drag it around to place it exactly where you need it. Tap either side of the circle to move left or right by just one character. It’s easy to move around with speed and precision.
- Camera: BlackBerry 10 lets you create the perfect shot by moving parts of your picture backwards and forwards in time with Time Shift mode. BlackBerry 10.1 adds an HDR shooting mode for beautiful images in tricky lighting conditions. A standard image takes a picture at one exposure level. Where you have high contrast between light and dark areas of the photo, fine details can be lost. High Dynamic Range (HDR) mode takes multiple pictures at different exposure levels and layers them automatically to produce a single photo that combines the best of the dark and light areas.
- Lots more to discover: You’ll find lots of new improvements across the BlackBerry 10 OS like landscape support for the calendar, easier international dialing, improved red eye reduction in the picture editor and much more. The first step to discovering these new features is to update your BlackBerry 10 software.
How to update to BlackBerry 10.1:
Updating to BlackBerry 10.1 is free and easy to do. To update your BlackBerry Z10 smartphone to BlackBerry 10.1 look for the alert in the notifications section of the BlackBerry Hub. You can also check for software updates through the settings menu by visiting the software updates section. The download will happen in the background and the update will be applied without needing to back up your smartphone. All of your information remains safe. As always, we recommend you have a current backup of your BlackBerry Z10 smartphone readily available. For more information on how to update your BlackBerry Z10 smartphone, visit www.BlackBerry.com/update
9:40 am on May 14, 2013 |
On stage at BlackBerry Live 2013, CEO Thorsten Heins has just announced the BlackBerry Q5. This is a budget-friendly device meant for emerging markets. This device will begin rolling out globally in the summer. The Q5 will come in four colors; red, black, white, and pink. Check out the Press Release on the Q5, starting below and continuing past the break.
BlackBerry Introduces a Youthful and Fun BlackBerry 10 QWERTY smartphone, the BlackBerry Q5, for Selected Markets
May 14, 2013
Waterloo, ON – BlackBerry® (NASDAQ: BBRY; TSX: BB) today introduced the BlackBerry® Q5, a new youthful and fun BlackBerry® 10 smartphone for selected markets. The BlackBerry Q5 smartphone features a QWERTY keyboard with discrete keys in a stunning youthful design that is confident, fun, and bold. Every feature, every part of the BlackBerry Q5 has been built to provide a fast, effortless experience that flows and moves with you to help you explore, create, and share while on the go.
5:10 pm on May 13, 2013 |
BlackBerry Live 2013 is kicking off tomorrow morning in Orlando, Florida, but we know everyone that wanted to be there can’t go. So, to help out the masses that couldn’t make BlackBerry Live this year, we will be covering the action live on TheBerryFix. Our coverage begins tomorrow morning at 8:30 AM EST. We’ll be bringing up the live blog at that time and begin posting up-to-the-minute news to Twitter, as well. The keynote begins at 9 AM EST and our live blog will follow all the action.
We will be posting updates to Twitter throughout the keynote and we will be posting the biggest, breaking stores as they happen. Then, after the keynote, our coverage will continue through articles on the website and Twitter updates as the news rolls in. It’s sure to be an exciting event this year, with some information on BlackBerry OS 10.1, BlackBerry 10 for the PlayBook, and maybe even some news on more BB10 handsets coming later this year.
We’ll see you tomorrow morning around 8:30 AM EST to get things started at this year’s BlackBerry Live conference.
1:37 pm on May 13, 2013 |
Wikitude has announced today that their app, Wikitude Places, will be launching in Beta for BlackBerry 10 at the BlackBerry Live conference in Orlando Florida. Wikitude Places is the next-generation of the classic Wikitude Augmented Reality platform. Read on for the Full Press Release with all the information on this upcoming release.
Wikitude Places beta for BB10 launched at BlackBerry Live in Orlando
ORLANDO 13 May 2013 – As BlackBerry goes “live” with its biggest annual event in Florida tomorrow, so does “Wikitude Places beta” for BlackBerry 10. Wikitude Places beta is the first preliminary release of the next generation of Wikitude on BlackBerry’s new BB10 platform. For the very first time, this beta version shows Wikitude’s whole new UI concept and the focus on location based services such as sights, restaurants and hotels in your vicinity. Contrary to Wikitude on older platforms, this new beta release for BB10 does not yet include the full augmented reality content portfolio and the integration of BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) functionalities.
1:32 pm on May 13, 2013 |
Macadamian Accelerates BlackBerry® 10 App Development Pace by 85%
Gatineau, QC. (May 13, 2013) – Macadamian has increased its rate of BlackBerry® 10 app development by 85 per cent to keep pace with accelerating customer demand. The user-experience-design and software-development firm has averaged about one new app every two weeks since the launch of the BlackBerry® Z10 smartphone on January 30, 2013. The Maxim app for BlackBerry® 10 is among Macadamian’s latest design and development credits.
“We were one of the first to get behind the BlackBerry® 10 platform and we’re seeing results,” said Macadamian CEO Frédéric Boulanger who has dedicated a quarter of his company’s workforce to BlackBerry® 10 development. “Stellar user experiences drive business value for our clients and that’s been critical to our success.”
4:45 pm on May 9, 2013 |
Today, BlackBerry has released updates to both the native Twitter and LinkedIn applications for BlackBerry 10. Both updates bring some new enhancements and features to the apps, plus speed and performance enhancements. Here’s what’s new in each update, click the app name for the link to download the update for free in BlackBerry World.
- Enjoy more content with Universal Search – Twitter 10.0.3/10.1.3 allows you to see more content when you’re searching. You’ll be able to view related profiles, tweets and top tweets, photos and relevant searches all on one page.
- Always Fresh Content – The latest Twitter update ensures all of your content is always fresh and up to date. Automatic caching gives you the current information at your fingertips without having to manually refresh your tabs.
- Finding Your Contacts – Quickly make connections by importing and inviting your current contacts from your personal address book through the ‘Add Connections’ wizard.
- Enhanced Inbox – On the Inbox page, you can easily view the number of unread messages and invitations waiting for you.
- Refreshed Design – Check out the updated application design for an enhanced LinkedIn experience.
- Follow and Learn About Companies – With LinkedIn 10.0.3/10.1.3 you can now view details of the companies you follow as well as details of the companies suggested for you to follow.
- Delete and Archive Messages – On the Inbox page, you can now choose to delete or archive your messages.
- Change Profile Picture – There are three new and easy ways to change your profile picture. Change it from the ‘You Page’, the ‘Full Screen View of your Photo’ or from the ‘Native Picture Viewer’.
11:25 am on May 9, 2013 |
RBC and Bell have teamed up to bring a new mobile payments solution to market. This new service will harness the security and power of BlackBerry, along with various other Android devices, to allow users to make credit and debit payments directly from their smartphones. The BlackBerry devices included on the service at launch will include the Z10, Q10, Bold 9900, Bold 9790 or Curve 9360. The service will be utilize NFC for making payments. Look for it to launch towards the end of the year and read on below and past the break for the full Press Release regarding this upcoming release.
RBC and Bell to launch secure mobile payments solution
Canada’s largest bank and Canada’s largest communications company to offer efficient and secure mobile way to purchase goods and services with credit and debit
MONTREAL AND TORONTO, May 9, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ – RBC and Bell today
announced the upcoming availability of an easy, fast and secure way for
RBC mobile banking customers to purchase goods and services with debit
or credit by simply using their compatible Bell Mobility smartphones.
Golf fans, rejoice! The official PGA Tour app is now available on BlackBerry 10 for the Z10. This app brings you all the latest news from the Tour, including scores, videos, and current rankings. The PGA Tour app is integrated with BlackBerry 10′s native Peek and Flow, so your updates will show up in BlackBerry Hub. The full feature list includes:
- Native BlackBerry® navigation (“peek”) for easy access to all your favorite sections
- Live scoring & leaderboards for all PGA TOUR events, including “favorites” to follow the players you care about
- Highlights & other videos
- News & blog posts from PGATOUR.com writers & talent
- FedExCup standings
- Searchable player profiles & statistics
- Course overviews and hole-by-hole information for PGA TOUR courses
- Twitter feeds from PGA TOUR staff and players
Get it free in BlackBerry World using the link below and start enjoying the PGA Tour on-the-go.